Name:
Location: Texas

mama to Em, Evie, Andy and Jack! LOVE makes a family!

Sunday, January 21, 2007

How can a day go from good to bad so fast?

Today we had to say goodbye to our dog, Ralphie. He's been with us since September, 2001. Richard had been travelling for work at the time of the attacks on 9/11, and was actually in the air when the planes hit. He landed safely in Columbus, was able to get his rental car, and drove home to Kansas instead of to his motel. Shortly after he got home, he got Ralph for us, to watch over Em and me while he was gone.

Ralphie has always been a nervous and needy dog. He has been a good dog, though. But, he developed a problem with children. He nipped at our neighbor's daughter through the fence. Our vet said it was just a territory/aggression problem. He nipped at our nephew when he was tickling Emily. Everyone tried to explain it away, that he was protecting Em. He was a little aggressive towards Evie at first, and tried to nip at her. So, we never left them alone together. I thought things were getting better. We worked with Evie about leaving Ralphie's food alone, leaving his crate alone, etc. This dog was on his last chance. His last last chance.

Today, he bit Emily on the hand. She is the last person I would have ever expected him to bite. Thankfully, she is ok. He didn't break the skin - but I think that she will have a bruise. Emily is Ralph's person. She feeds him, takes care of him. He often sleeps on the foot of her bed. It broke her heart that her puppy bit her.

Richard and I decided that we couldn't take any more chances. Ralphie had to go. Richard drove him to the shelter to give him up. If he passes the aggression test, he will have at least 7 days to find a home, a home without children. I think we all know what will happen if he fails the aggression test. It broke our hearts, but our children have to come first. I feel so badly for Richard - Ralphie was his buddy, and would often hang out with him in the basement, laying at his feet while he worked on the computer or did his homework. If you couldn't tell, my heart is broken, too. Evie is just confused - she knows that we are all sad, but doesn't know why.

I just feel like we failed Emily and Evie by having an unsuitable pet. We failed Ralphie - we had supposedly rescued him from the pound, but ended up being an unsuitable home for him. I don't know what we could have done differently. I am so sad.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


1 Comments:

Blogger Valeri said...

I'm sorry to hear about Ralph. I have a beagle and I worry how she will be towards our son when he comes home.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home