Name:
Location: Texas

mama to Em, Evie, Andy and Jack! LOVE makes a family!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Bliss

I am so tired. I go to the doctor tomorrow for a cold that hasn't gone away in the two weeks we've been home from China. He will scold me for not coming in sooner, and I am worried that it is something more than just a cold. I think I could go to bed and hibernate until Christmas.

Tonight Evie had a full-out screaming fit, complete with flailing arms and legs. I am fairly sure it was because I couldn't make dinner cook any faster (and this was after she had a stage 3 jar of sweet potato puree, a bowl of veggie puffs, and a bowl of teddy grahams! All told, she ended up also eating a piece and a half of pizza, the meat off of a chicken drumstick, and a big banana!) I am in awe of the colors she turned in her rage, a rainbow from pink to red to purple. As I held her and rocked her and tried to calm her down, I was crying, too. (Finally, Daddy took over and made everything better.)

As I rocked her to sleep tonight, I was content in the knowledge that Richard was downstairs, tinkering with some piece of electronic equipment that doesn't work just so, and that Emily was doing homework and reading her book. Our newest daughter was safely in my arms. At first she babbled to me a little bit, then stroked my cheek and played with my hair. She petted her bunny, and rubbed my face with its ears. What a lovely gift to share with me. As time went on, she slowly closed her eyes and started to suck on her thumb. I held on to her long after she was asleep, and rocked and rocked. I could hear the crickets and frogs outside the window, and the sound of children playing. I could hear the cattle in the field behind our neighborhood, and traffic in the distance. The cool breeze was blowing in the window.

Even though I am so tired, and probably way too cranky to my wonderful family, I am so happy. I am so full of love for this family of mine, and I will try my hardest in the future to let them know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home